Do you feel like it’s a huge task to get your child married?
Do you feel stressed out now itself thinking of the marriage?
Don’t worry! This blog will help you plan for your child’s marriage. You just have to follow the simple and practical steps given.
Table of Contents
- How much do you plan to spend on your child’s marriage?
- How planning for your child’s marriage differs from all your other financial goals?
- Both parents and children struggle
- Should you have a lavish marriage?
- Plan early
- Avoid debt
- Estimate and plan for your child’s marriage
Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now. – Alan Lakein
- What kind of marriage are you planning for, a simple one, or a lavish one?
- How much do you plan to spend on the marriage?
- Have you considered inflation?
- Are your investments enough to fund all that you thought of?
- How old is your child and how many years are left for the marriage?
- How much have you saved and how much more should you save?
These questions were only for you to know where you stand. All these questions will be addressed in the below post.
How much do you plan to spend on your child’s marriage?
But one thing to know is: don’t be carried by society or follow the rest blindly, as each one has a different and unique financial background. So focus on your budget. It’s okay to have a lavish marriage but only if it’s within your budget.
“The creative individual has the capacity to free himself from the web of social pressures in which the rest of us are caught. He is capable of questioning the assumptions that the rest of us accept”. -John W.Gardner
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine”. -Bruce Lee
Take a few moments to answer this question: Are you living for the expectations of society or for yourself?
Now you will see how planning for your child’s marriage differs from all your other financial goals.
How planning for your child’s marriage differs from all your other financial goals?
Here in the Flow chart, on the left is the financial goal, and on the right is its value.
- Buying a house is an asset creation and also a life long investment.
- Children’s education maybe for a few years, but it’s also a life long investment.
- Retirement is also saving for a certain period of time.
But marriage is an event, only for a day or two, or say, even a week. But it neither has a return on investment nor any other financial value.
Do you still think it’s logical to spend a huge sum on marriage?
If you answered “YES”, then think about the amount you are planning to spend on the marriage. Think about all the other financial goals that are achievable with this money,
- your house down payment,
- your outstanding loans,
- your retirement,
- your plans for buying a car, etc.
Do you still want to go with a lavish wedding? Is it really required? Take a few moments to think about it. You may even spend the money for your child’s future, but maybe not on marriage, where your money spent is spent.
Both parents and children struggle
- Many parents save and spend huge sum of their hard-earned money on their child’s marriage ( which happens for a day or two) and have nothing left for their own retirement and other financial goals.
- Many parents take huge loans for their child’s marriage and spend their lives repaying it. The marriage gets over in a day or two, but not the loan, it takes for a long time to repay.
- Many children also share in the marriage expenses by repaying the loans and start their new life with this outstanding loan. This impacts their wealth creation and they struggle to meet their own goals such as buying a house, car, etc.
Should you have a lavish marriage?
- If you need it and if you don’t get into debt.
- If you can afford it.
- If you have enough for all your other financial goals.
- If the expenses are only a small part of your net worth.
Now you know, if you should plan for a lavish marriage or not. Whatever the case may be, you should plan early.
You have now seen how planning for your child’s marriage and for your other financial goals is different, how parents and children suffer, you also now know if you should go with a simple or a lavish marriage. Now you will see the steps in planning for your child’s marriage.
Steps in Planning for your child’s marriage
STEP 1: Plan early
This is the very first step in planning for your child’s marriage. Why should you plan early?
Planning early has a lot of benefits, even right after the child’s birth. The reason is
- It gives you a lot of time.
- It helps you build a bigger corpus.
- It helps you contribute smaller amounts over a longer time.
- It makes you prepared.
- It minimizes uncertainties.
- It reduces stress, fear, and anxiety.
- It gives you mental peace.
This is why it’s always preferred to plan early. After reading through the benefits, don’t you feel that planning early really helps?
The second step is to avoid debt.
STEP 2: Avoid debt
Why should you avoid debt?
⭐ You will have to pay high-interest rates later on.
⭐ You may find it difficult to get out of this debt trap.
Taking a loan will take you years to repay, which will in turn affect your financial health. So it’s better you avoid taking loans, especially when you have time to arrange for funds and save. A simple marriage with the funds you have is way better than a lavish marriage, and later on, struggling to repay your loan. You can even avoid loans if you start planning early and start saving. To know more read step 3.
The third step is to estimate marriage expenses.
STEP 3: Estimate and plan for your child’s marriage
Now you will see the workings of the Children’s marriage plan calculator. It is explained in a few steps. You just have to follow these simple steps to estimate the amount required for your child’s marriage.
So in this case, the amount required to save monthly is Rs. 26,348. Likewise, you will find the amount you require to save, once you fill the above details in the Children’s marriage plan calculator. This is how the calculator works. In case you cannot save the said sum .i.e, Rs. 26,348 monthly, don’t worry, start with an amount that you can save monthly. Once you get a bonus or an increment, you can increase this amount. But it’s always about getting started.
“The secret to getting ahead is getting started.” ― Mark Twain
Now you would have known about the 3 simple steps to plan for your child’s marriage. If you follow these simple steps you will be able to save for your child’s marriage.
I hope you now understood how to plan for your child’s marriage and with the help of the children’s marriage plan calculator you would now know how much to save monthly. This is a great way that helps you save for your child, very early. It avoids uncertainties and keeps you prepared. Smart parents will start planning for their child’s marriage very early.
Have you started saving for your child’s marriage?